Salary: £10,219 (£24,045 full-time equivalent)
Hours: 17 hours per week (Mon 1pm-6pm, Wed 9am-12pm, Sunday 9am-6pm)
Location: Tottenham, North London
Establishment: Lordship Hub
Closing date: Monday 8th May midday
Interview date: Wednesday 10th May
Trial shifts: Sunday 14th and Monday 15th
Start date: As soon as possible
Who we are and what we do
We’re “The Hub” – a successful community run cooperative in an attractive new building at the heart of a beautiful park, overlooking a lake. Our café has been open just over a year and has become a popular venue, serving park users, the community, and participants in the many and varied activities that take place in the Hub building and in the park. Its menu is all about fresh, wholesome, tasty, environmentally-friendly and affordable food. We’re very much there for our people; dedicated to looking after and involving both staff and community in every aspect of the business. As part of our team you’ll get real responsibility right from the start and a fantastic opportunity to contribute to helping your “Hub” grow from strength to strength.
As a community cooperative we run differently to a normal business. Our values are central to what we do. This means: we make decisions together, as a staff/volunteer team, and with our members; we pay a real living wage; we minimise our environmental impact.
Who we’re looking for
Café experience is very important to us – we want someone who’s a great cook, passionate about food and able to bring a creative touch to our menu and catering offer. It’s also really important to us that you are passionate about people – both the people who you serve in our café and the volunteer community members in your team, who you’ll coach and develop. You have a commitment to co-operative working and need to be interested in all aspects of running a business, with a sixth sense for profitability and affordability, great multi-tasking skills and the nous to make sound calls on business decisions.
Why it’s great to work at “The Hub”
- You’ll get the opportunity to use your leadership skills and great ideas to make a real difference.
- You’ll work with a friendly and committed team of co-managers with a mix of talents and skills so that you can share ideas and help each other.
- You’ll enjoy a lively, friendly atmosphere in a beautiful park setting.
- You’ll have the chance to develop your management skills.
- You’ll have your voice heard – we have a flat structure with a free flow of ideas where everyone can have their say.
- You can help develop the skills of volunteers and apprentices.
To succeed at “The Hub” you’ll need:
- At least two years’ experience as a chef or cook in a café, restaurant or catering establishment.
- A commitment to co-operative working and collaborative decision-making.
- A commitment to the local community.
- To be knowledgeable about fresh food – sourcing, preparing and cooking it, as well as serving it up in ways that delight our customers.
- A strong instinct for the commercial side – always to be looking for ways to increase custom, drive sales and boost the business, whilst still maintaining the affordability and quality of our offer.
- Natural leadership qualities, with excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to think fast.
- Great communication skills and an affinity for working with a wide range of different kinds of people.
- A willingness to try working in a different way, to take risks and not accept ‘business as usual’.
Please send your C.V. and a covering letter to: